Pot Pie.This recipe is a combination of a bunch of different ones from my cookbooks. Feel free to modify however you want.
- 1 pie crust (I like Smitten Kitchen's recipe) or 1 store-bought pie crust if you're organized enough to remember to buy one
- 3/4 cup homemade chicken stock (If you don't have homemade, use store-bought, but I promise you homemade will take this to the next level)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- Dash of celery salt
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 3/4 cup milk mixed with 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cooked chicken, cubed (This is a great way to use leftovers)
- Handful frozen peas or green beans
- Handful of frozen corn
- Salt and pepper
- Leaves from any herbs in your kitchen (thyme, rosemary, or parsley are nice)
- 1 egg, beaten
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Bring stock to a boil in a big saucepan. Add the carrots, onion, celery salt, and curry powder.* Simmer on low until carrots are soft (about 15 minutes.)
*If you have potatoes or sweet potatoes on hand, peel and chop them and add a handful at this step.
Stir the herbs and the milk/flour mixture SLOWLY into the vegetables and simmer for a few minutes, stirring until it is thick.
Remove the pan from heat, and stir in chicken, peas, and corn. Salt and pepper to taste.
Roll out your pie dough into an 11-inch circle.
Pour pot pie filling to a deep 9-inch pie plate (or into 4 ramekins, if you're fancy enough to have those.) Don't overfill or you'll have a major mess in your oven.
Cover with pie crust and cut a few slits in the surface. Brush on the egg wash with a pastry brush. Put directly in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
Best served with a big green salad and lots of wine.
|Of course I overfilled the pie plate. Yours doesn't have to be so messy.|